The appearance of a website depends a lot on the design of a category page.
To avoid confusing you with terminology, we’ll define some concepts that we’ll use in this article:
- Current category - this is a page of a category where a user is currently on.
- Subcategory - this is a teaser of a category which is a child to the current one. If you click on a subcategory, its page will be loaded and it will become current one. And the child categories of this category will become subcategories.
- Item - this is an object of an application (for example, news, a product, an article), that is usually assigned to a category.
A category has such fields as a name, a subtitle, a text for a teaser and for the full description, an image for a teaser and for a detailed page. It’s not possible to add custom fields.
Where and how a category can be edited?
- Navigate to the ZOO component.
- Choose an application (for example, “Product catalog”).
- Open the “Categories” tab.
- Find the category that you wish to edit. Or add a new one using the “New” button.
How to set default settings for all categories?
- Choose an application that you need.
- Co to “Config” tab.
- Settings specified in “Configuration (Global)” and “Template (Global)” tabs will be used as default ones for the whole application.
Find the following settings in the “Current category” section of the “Configuration” tab:
- Image width and height - new dimensions for the uploaded image on a category page. This will help you solve problems with the design if you are using huge images. If the proportions of an image are different compared to the specified values, an image will be scaled down first, then it will be cropped. So there will be no distortion. All transparency in PNG and GIF will be preserved.
Resized copies of images are stored in the file cache and are not resized every time somebody visits a page of this category. Thus, there is no performance loss.
- RSS Link adds an icon of an RSS feed so your visitors can easily subscribe to updates. If you choose “Yes”, new options will appear:
- Feed title - RSS title that an aggregator of your subscriber will display.
- Alternate feed link - a link that can be used to open non-standard feed source, such as FeedBurner. If you omit this option, ZOO will generate a link by itself. Some browsers add an icon to the address field that allows to quickly view the feed.
Find the following settings in the “Current category” section of the “Template” tab:
- Show. If you choose “No”, an information about the current category will be hidden (except the title). If you choose “Yes”, then you’ll be able to use category options listed below.
- Subtitle - whether to show or to hide additional text field that is displayed below the category title inside <h2> tag.
- Teaser - whether to show or to hide short intro text before the detailed description of a category.
- Image - whether to show or to hide the main image.
- Image align - it’s possible to align an image to one side or another.
- Left - align to the left (float: left).
- Right - align to the right (float: right).
- Center - put it in the middle (text-align: center).
- None - image alignment is not affected by JBZoo and depends only on the styles of a website.
Screenshots of settings in the control panel: